Sunday, December 5, 2010

Katie Couric Interview with Howard Schultz



Katie Couric began the interview with Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, by asking him why he wouldn't call sizes of coffee like all other people "small, medium or large." Schultz said that after he visited Italy he understood the meaning that Italians used for coffee (for example, "doppio espresso macciato"), and it just made sense to him.

After this question Couric asked him why Starbucks was closing so many stores those days. Howard responded that he thought that one of the problems that they had was very fast growth.

Katie asked if they had a business plan for a recession. Howard's answer was that he believed the Starbucks was a "recession-proof", and the economy couldn't affect them.

Than Katie Couric asked if it was possible for Starbucks to lower their prices. Schultz simply answered that they are "selling more than just a cup of coffee."

I like Schultz idea of people connection. There are a lot of coffee shops, but people use to get their drinks and run somewhere. By having a nice place to stay I think people will do it and spend their time communicating. I also think it's a very great idea to give each of the workers insurance. It is what Schultz calls "responsible capitalism". My favorite his saying is "if you're an entrepreneur, you've got to dream big and then dream bigger." Even though I don't like their coffee because I think it is extremely unhealthy, I admire Howard as an entrepreneur. He created such a huge product that makes a day for a lot of people around the world. Hoping to have my coffee house some day, I think there are many things that I need to learn from him. The only thing I would recommend to him is to work on the quality of drinks (what he tries to do little by little) and on the healthy stuff which is extremely popular nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment